trip.me Payment Plus
Activities & Transport
- Meet the Locals
- Hot Air Balloon
- Wildlife Watching
- Bird Watching
- Car with driver
Main travel focus
6-Day Big Five Safari in Africa!
- Spot the Big 5!
- English speaking private guide & special safari vehicle.
- Full-day game drive in the Serengeti.
- Witness the Wildebeest migration in the Serengeti (seasonal).
Embark on a quest to see the legendary Big Five! This 6-day Big Five safari is by far the most popular safari - giving you the best chance of spotting Africa's most iconic animals.
In your pursuit of lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos, and cape buffalo you'll travel through all five of the northern circuit's national parks: Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Arusha, Ngorongoro, and the world-famous Serengeti National Park - where you'll spend two unforgettable days and have the opportunity to witness the dazzling Serengeti sunrise.
Along the way, you'll also see enormous herds of wildebeest and zebra, the majestic giraffe, wallowing hippopotamus, lean cheetahs, opportunistic hyenas, playful monkeys, and so much more.
- All meals on the safari. When staying at lodges it will be on full board basis and when budget camping then our accompanying chef will prepare delicious warm meals.
- All Park entrance fees & taxes.
- All prices are quoted in US dollars.
- Camping equipment if applicable (tents mattresses sleeping bags pillows table and chairs)
- Flying Doctors rescue insurance for the time of the tour with Shadows of Africa.
- Game safari to national parks as specified.
- Hotel/lodge/camp accommodation for the duration of the safari.
- Private 4x4 vehicle with a roof hatch and sliding windows for 360 degree view of the wildlife surrounding you.
- First aid kit - every safari vehicle comes standard with a fully stocked first aid kit. Our guides are all trained in providing basic first aid.
- Spare tires for any unforeseen issues that may arise on the bumpy African outback.
- Charging station - Each car includes a charging station so you can charge your phone, camera battery, or laptop while on the road.
- WiFi - Our Tanzanian vehicles come standard with WiFi so that you can stay connected while on the road.
- Tea & Coffee - Every safari departs with a box of coffee and tea that can be enjoyed at any point during your safari.
- Binoculars - 1 pair per car
- Professional English speaking safari and tour guide / driver.
- Water and hot drink (coffee and tea) during safari.
- Wildlife tours according to your itinerary preferences.
- All game viewing activities specified in the Safari.
- Entry visas
- International flights
- Tips and gratuities to safari crew - recommended: 15-20 USD/per day to safari driver
- 10 – 15 USD/per day to safari cook
- Travel insurance
- Visit to Oldevai Gorge (from 40 USD/per person)
- Balloon Safari (from 570 USD/per person)
- Masai visit ( from 15 USD/per person)
Example Trip to customize
Welcome to Arusha!
Welcome to Africa! You'll depart from your Arusha accommodations after breakfast and make your way to nearby Arusha National Park, where you'll get the chance to enjoy a walking safari as well as a traditional game drive.
Your day will start with a once in a lifetime walking safari through the park's beautiful forest as you make your way to a stunning waterfall at the heart of the park. Along the way you'll see black and white colobus monkeys, zebras, buffalos, and a variety of antelope species. You'll also have the chance to see the more than 400 species of birds that call the park home.
After you've enjoyed a picnic lunch out in the bush, you'll return to your car for an afternoon game drive through the park. You'll pay a visit to the Momela Lakes where you'll see brightly colored flamingoes looking for their lunch, and enjoy fantastic views of both Mount Meru and Mount Kilimanjaro.
Spend Time at Lake Manyara National Park
Departing from Arusha at 8am, the 2-hour drive to Lake Manyara takes you through the farming and market town of Mto Wa Mbu where souvenir hunters can practice their bartering skills with the local people. From here, you will enter Lake Manywara National Park where photographers are in for a real treat.
The park is teeming with wildlife including the world famous tree climbing lions, thousands of brightly colored flamingos, and the largest baboon troops in Africa. Witness the sun setting over the Great Rift Valley as your day comes to an end, before retiring to your accommodation for the evening.
Dinner will be provided at the campsite or lodge.
Explore the Magnificent Serengeti
You'll begin the day with the scenic drive towards the Serengeti. Along the way, you'll pass through the mist-shrouded rainforests of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area where you might be lucky enough to glimpse cape buffalo, baboons, or even elephants and leopards. You can choose an optional activity as well.
You can visit the Oldupai Gorge Museum. Sometimes known as the Cradle of Mankind, the Oldupai Gorge Museum commemorates some of the oldest evidence of human habitation ever found.
You can also pay a visit to one of the famous Maasai bomas, where you'll have the opportunity to witness (and participate in) traditional Maasai dance, tour an authentic Maasai village, and even do a little souvenir shopping at the local market.
After a delicious lunch at the Serengeti National Park picnic area, it’s time to explore the Serengeti itself.
Spot Wildlife Around Ngorongoro Crater
You'll start your day bright and early so that you can go on a sunrise game drive. See the majesty of the sun setting fire to the savannah as lions, leopards, and cheetahs take advantage of the cooler temperatures to hunt for game.
Accompanied by the melodic singing of birds, you'll see the Serengeti as you've never seen it before. After breakfast, you will get right on the road back towards the Ngorongoro Crater National Park. Your drive takes you back through the Serengeti via a different route, offering plenty of opportunities to spot the animals that eluded you on day three.
You will have the chance to spot lean cheetahs and shy leopards, foraging hyenas, and last but not least, the king himself; the lion.
Visit the Stunning Ngorogoro Crater Floor
After breakfast you will proceed to Ngorongoro Crater for a full-day game drive. Seen by many as the 8th Natural Wonder of the World, Ngorogoro Crater offers an unparalleled opportunity to see the Big 5 in the wild.
After a brief stop at the lip of the crater to take in the stunning panoramic view of the ancient caledera, you'll wind yout way down to the valley floor where more than 120 species of mammals can be found. Ngorogoro Crater offers unmatched opportunities to see hippos wallowing in shady pools, vast flocks of flamingos feeding in shallow salt lakes, and even the chance to see the elusive black rhinoceros.
Your guide will be an invaluable help, spotting animals from some distance away and ensuring you get to see the many wild and wonderful animals that call the crater home. You'll return to your Karatu accommodations for the evening for dinner and rest.
Spend Your Last Day at the Tarangire
You'll depart your accommodations early for the drive south to Tarangire where you'll spend your day driving through Tanzania's most underrated national park. You will begin the game viewing at the rich vista of an endless golden savannah. You will see the Tarangire River where Baobab trees grow all along the riverbanks.
Enjoy a picnic overlooking the river and watch in amazement as animals come to the watering hole to escape the day's heat. Each year, thousands of animals migrate from the Maasai steppe to the Tarangire River looking for water. In addition to elephants, lions, zebra, giraffes, and antelope, you might also be able to see three rare species of animals: the Greater Kadu, the Fringe-eared Oryx, and even a few Ashy Starlings.
You'll then return to Arusha sometime after lunch. From here, you can continue your onward journey. Safe travels, and visit again soon!